Historic Preservation & Restoration
1890 Clay County Courthouse
The old 1890 Clay County Courthouse is a historic county courthouse in Green Cove Springs, Florida. The two-story brick building was built in 1890 and used until 1973 and is one of only four Florida courthouses built before 1900.
Bhide & Hall Architects was tasked with transforming this unused abandoned building into a useful, aesthetically pleasing County building that remains true to its original style which combines Italianate and Second Renaissance design elements, featuring a round-arched entrance.
Restoration efforts included the addition of automatic fire sprinklers, new air conditioning, and handicapped access. Upon initial evaluation, the building suffered from severe termite damage and structural deterioration from roof leaks.
The historic courthouse building is currently home to the Clerk of Court and Comptroller’s Office award-winning, state champion Teen Court Program. The building is also used regularly for public events.
On June 20, 1975, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Learn more about the Old Clay County Courthouse from the Clay County Historical Archives >>
Green Cove Springs, Florida
Clay County Board of County Commissioners